Friday, June 25, 2010

My Most Favorite New Healthy Item...

Ok, so I don't really have a picture for this one, but you can imagine it if you would like and I am sure you will get it right on. So, a little background. The experiment is not so much low fat or low calorie, the basic point is to go away from processed. In all fairness to the life style change/diet, I really do lose weight when I am eating correctly (again, not low fat/low cal per say just non-processed healthy amounts). So I have decided to start with my most used recipe next to the smoothie recipe (that I may share much later on but I know that is not what most people would want to hear about so we will stay away from that one for a while). Today's recipe: Granola... This recipe is so easy it only takes me 10 min to make and the amount that this makes lasts as cereal for about 2 weeks. The granola is so versatile, you can use it for so much. We typically use it as cereal as does a friend but since her family is a little more courageous they add dried fruit to theirs. You can also add some raisins and M&M's and have a trail mix. It is just a great thing to have on hand. Also, for people like me who really look at the cost to see if it is worth it, this batch makes about the same as 2 boxes of the "healthy cereal" and costs me about $4.50 because bulk food is really so cheap. Many of the healthy cereals cost $4.00 a box so it is about 1/2 the price of the more healthy cereals but you don't have the preservatives or other chemicals. Anyway, hope you all enjoy, Meg!

8 Cups Rolled Oats (should not be quick oats because they are more processed and not as good for you)
1 Cup Raw wheat Germ (found in bulk at the health food store)
1 Cup Shredded Coconut (found in bulk at the health food store, should not use the sugared because the processing and sugaring takes away its nutritional value)
1/2 Cup Freshly Ground Flax Seed (found in bulk at the health food store, a coffee grinder or hand held blender can grind it)
1 Cup Nuts (can be any kind, since you are going to the health store anyway check out their variety of nuts, they cost so much less there)
1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds (also found in bulk at the health food store)
2 Tablespoons Cinnamon

Mix Well

Heat and pour over dry mixture:
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Molasses or Grade B Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup Water
May add (FYI: I usually don't because it is optional and I am all about making life easier)
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, 1 tsp maple flavoring or 1 tsp vanilla

After both mixtures are combined well pour into 3 or 4 pans and bake at 250 degrees stirring every 30 min until granola is dry. I have found that if you do a double batch you don't need more pans it just takes a little longer to dry. This can be kept for 2-3 weeks on the shelf and 4-6 weeks in the fridge.

This was found in a book by Robyn Openshaw. Her website is awesome and worth a look if you are looking to go healthy, greensmoothiegirl.ocm

No comments: