Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reunion or Surgery...Is either a good option?

***Please disregard spelling issues, I just don't have time to really be careful or spell check***
Actually, I was really looking forward to the Durfee Family Reunion this year. There were a lot of fun things planned and we were going to take 2 days off to just go down and enjoy St. George. Rebecca's first day of school was Monday the 25th of August. At her school they have kindergarten "back to school" on the first day and then the kids don't go back (except for testing) for the rest of the week. I got off early to go to the back to school part that was supposed to be 2 hours, but it was only an hour. Because of this Dave didn't have to leave for work for a while and so I thought we could go out to lunch as a family. We went to a local Mexican Resturant and by the time I got to the car I was feeling a little sick. At first I thought, "oh yeah, I shouldn't eat fatty foods because you are never the same after the gallblader is taken out", but the sickness got worse and I was up all night. So even though I had decided that I really didn't need to take Rebecca's birthday off to do stuff with her, I ended up home sick as sick. Well, I started feeling better about 2 in the afternoon and some family were coming over for cake and ice cream so I thought I should clean up a little. Every time I bent down there was a pain in my lower right abdomen and over the next couple of hours it just kept getting worse. By 5:00 the next morning (when I got to work) it was to much and I could hardly wait for the doctor to open to get in to see him. This was Wednesday and we were leaving for St. George on Thursday and they just do not have the same level of health care that Salt Lake City does and I thought that if I did have appendix problems that I didn't want to deal with it down there. Looking back, I probably should have just gone to the ER instead of the doctor but at this point I was in denial. Anyway, it took a long time to get the blood test back so back to work I went to wait for the call to tell me if I needed to go to the hospital or whatever. I know that work should not have been on the list of things to do, but silly me thought that the 2:00 meeting was important. When I finally got the call to go back to the hospital, it was 2:30 and Rebecca was at my parents (due to the meeting and Dave having to go to work early to make up time for our trip down south) so I headed for the hospital for the fun CT scan with contrast. Those of you who have done this know how horrible the contrast is, those of you who have not done this, I hope you never have to. By 7:00 I was being addmitted to the ER to wait for the surgan. The poor guy was a little nervous, I think he probably doesn't get a lot of patients that have as thin of blood as I do, and trying to get it thick did not go well. Because of the blood thinners I am on and especially because I have been on them for so long, my veins were weak and kept colapsing. By the time I went home Friday, there were a total of 13 tries for an IV (4 of which worked for at least a short time) and another 6 seperate pokes for blood tests that they couldn't take out of the IV lines. Needless to say, I was a little frustrated from being a human pin cousion. The surgan said that he got it just in time. He was not sure why it hadn't already burst because it was very sick and enlarged, thank goodness I went to the doctor when I did. Anyway, that is why I was not able to go to my family reunion. I actually did ask the doctor if I could go (I was kind of in charge of it and felt bad dumping the responsibility on others) but he said no, because of the thin blood issue. I didn't take pictures like Linda because she is cuter than me and I figured that no one really wanted to see me like that. Linda, for those who read this and don't know, is my Dave's sister who had her appendix out 3 days after me. She just saw how much fun I was having and wanted to join in. Rebecca helped us all get a good laugh out of the whole situation though, and I leave you with that. When she went back to my parents house on Wednesday (while I was getting my blood thickend so I could have the operation) my dad asked her what was going on with me. She stated "my mom has to get her independance out".

No comments: